Call for further information
01590 642654



The following answers are intended as a guide only and do not form part of our contract with a caravan owner.  Please make sure you have read and understood the Licence Agreement and the Park Rules prior to proceeding with the purchase of a holiday caravan here at Carrington Park.
If you would like to discuss anything in more detail then please do not hesitate to contact us.

How many years can I keep the Holiday Home on the Park?
When you purchase a holiday home it will be sold to you with a written Licence Agreement confirming the terms of your purchase and how many years the holiday home can remain on the pitch.  New holiday homes are sold with a 12 year security of tenure.  For previously owned holiday homes the remaining security of tenure will be as shown on the individual sales details.

What protection do I have?
We are members of the British Holiday and Home Park Association.  The Licence Agreement we use is industry standard documentation produced by the BH&HPA.  You should make sure you understand all the terms of the contract and we will be happy to go through these with you and answer any questions you may have.

When can I use my Holiday Home?
Our season runs from 1st March to 2nd January and you can stay on a holiday basis at any time during this period.  In January & February we also allow use of your holiday home from 12 noon on Friday to 12 noon on Monday subject to the terms of our park rules.  The caravan cannot be used for residential purposes.

What are your Park Rules?
A copy of the Park Rules will be given to you prior to the purchase of your holiday home and form part of the Licence Agreement.  Our Park Rules are in place for the benefit of caravan owners and their guests.  A copy is available on request.

How much is the pitch fee & what other costs are involved?
The pitch fee depends on the location within the Park and is due annually on 3rd January.  Please click here for details of the current pitch fee and other charges.  Pitch fees are reviewed annually.

Can I visit Carrington Park?
We encourage prospective purchasers to visit the park and will be delighted to show you round and answer any questions you may have.  Please phone us on 01590 642654 to arrange a visit.

What is included in the purchase of a NEW holiday home?
Your New holiday home will be fully furnished to the manufacturers specification and the price we quote will include delivery, siting on the agreed plot, all connections to gas, sewerage, water & electric, patio, entrance steps, UPVC skirting & TV aerial.

What is included in the purchase of a Previously Owned holiday home?
Furnishings & fittings as specified on the individual sales details.  All previously owned holiday homes will have a gas and electric safety check carried out by qualified engineers prior to handover.

Do I have to pay a deposit?
For NEW holiday homes where we are placing an order with the manufacturer, we will require a 25% deposit.  For all other sales we will require a 10% deposit.

Can I hire out my holiday home?
This is covered in our Licence Agreement with you, which will state that you are not allowed to hire out your holiday home.

What about family & friends?
Family members, as defined under the terms of the Licence Agreement, are permitted to use the holiday home as often as you like throughout the year.  Friends may also holiday but this is limited to a total of 5 weeks per year as outlined in the Park Rules.

Can I use my holiday home for residential purposes?
Strictly no.  We are a holiday park not a residential park and to use your holiday caravan for residential purposes would put you in breach of your Licence Agreement with us.

What happens when the License Agreement expires?
The plot on which the caravan is sited reverts to our ownership and arrangements must be made with us to transport the caravan off site.  We would be happy to offer any assistance with this.

Do you allow pets?
Yes, but at the discretion of the site owner and subject to the Park Rules.

What about Gas Safety?
Just like in your home, it is recommended that your gas appliances are serviced annually by a registered engineer.  We can organise this for you.

Do I need Insurance?
Yes, all holiday homes must be insured.  We can provide a quote for this.

What do I do if I want to sell my holiday home?
This is fully covered in the Licence Agreement, however all transactions must be conducted through the office and under the terms of the Licence Agreement a charge of 15% + VAT is payable to the Park from the sale price.

Can I have decking?
Yes, although you must seek prior approval and guidance from the office to make sure that any decking complies with spacing & fire regulations.  You must also use our approved manufacturer and fitters.  We can arrange a quotation for you.

Can I have a shed?
No, you are not allowed a shed but we do allow specific external storage boxes from the Trimetals range.  Details and prices are available from the office.

Can I put up a washing line?
No, washing lines are not permitted.

Where can I park my car?
Generally cars should be parked on the grass at the end of your caravan.  The Park does however reserve the right to request you to park elsewhere should conditions mean that parking on the grass is not appropriate.